As of April 21st Google announced that they will be changing their search engine algorithm to favor mobile friendly sites in mobile search results. Google states, “we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal,” a move that could affect 40% of Fortune 500 websites.
Google ranks mobile friendly sites in mobile search results
Some blogs are calling this “Mobilegeddon”, saying that websites that aren’t mobile friendly will suffer from Google’s latest apolcaplyse of changing search engine algorithms. Google states that in order for a site to be considered mobile-friendly, the site simply needs to be easily usable from a mobile device. Some guidelines are:
- text has to be readable without tapping and zooming
- tap targets need to be spaced out appropriately
- the page avoids unplayable content or horizontal scrolling
Factors such as readability, responsive design and not using mobile-friendly software (like Flash) will also be considered when Google ranks mobile friendly sites.
So, now what do we do about it?
Now that you know that google ranks mobile friendly sites with greater weight in mobile search results, what can you do to take advantage of it?
- Read Google’s Official Press Release
- Check to see if your site is mobile-friendly.
- Take a look at some of the responsive design options available.
- If you are not looking for a complete redesign, we can still help you! Contact us today.
Are you ready, folks?! Google is favoring MOBILE-FRIENDLY sites starting April 21st. Run your site through the Mobile-Friendly Test at: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/. Remember: Google ranks mobile friendly sites!